- Each enhancement level is given a star rating, with a single star as the first enhancement level.
- Equipment can be enhanced up to 3 stars.
- Enhancements require gold and items at each level. The cost and Items required at each level are specified in the game's enhancement screen
- Caxton at Caxton's Armory
- Mathias at Greatwall Encampment
- Reynard the Traveling Merchant
- Barroch at Bitterblack Isle
Gear can be enhanced beyond 3 star level through the processes of Dragonforging and Rarifying
- Dragonforging is a process in which Armor and Weapons are strengthened in wyrmfire, which improves them beyond 3 star enhancement. It is achieved only by slaying a Dragon; upon death of the dragon all armor and weapons that the Arisen has equipped has a chance to become dragonforged. Dragonforged equipment is indicated by a wyrm icon.
- Rarifying is a process that uses Items and Rift Crystals to enhance Dragonforged Equipment. An additional 2 levels of upgrading can be achieved through rarifying. Rarifying services are provided by Barroch, and rarified equipment is indicated by a dragon icon.